Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Piazza Man Delivers!


Just finished this new Lucky Lefty piece. This is something new I'm giving a whirl- doing smaller pieces in mixed media, mostly marker. The background is orange acrylic paint, which had the unintended result of reminding me happily of Shea Stadium. The paint I used was transparent, so in order to get it even I had to put a ton on. Kinda like how Shea used to not actually get anything fixed every year, they just slathered on new coats of orange paint every season.
I love the source photo of Piazza that I based the piece on. Piazza looks so intense, but a little forlorn in it. The American flag patch on his hat (and blonde highlights) place this picture in 2001, after 9/11.

Updated 07/13/11: This is now available as a print on my Etsy shop: CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment